Tigers, your future is waiting…
unlock your potential!
What’s Career Readiness?
Whether it’s biology or sociology, communication or English, geography or psychology, art or architecture, or any of the other 30+ degrees housed in the College, an A&S education provides you with knowledge, skills, and experiences that will serve as a springboard for success long after you graduate with your degree. Your academic training encourages you to think for yourself, come to your own conclusions, and make meaningful contributions to the world around you, near and far.
Career readiness is a foundation of eight core competencies that broadly prepare you broadly and deeply for lifelong success in future careers and workplaces. Employers from all industries are seeking interns and full-time hires that demonstrate these skills.
Become Career Ready
To help you both communicate your advantage as an A&S student, we encourage you to engage in the following career readiness activities:
Step 1: Consult Career Readiness Guides
Our A&S career readiness guides offer simple, practical steps you can take to shape your career development journey. To become more career ready, don’t just skim the information – act on it! (The MU Career Center and A&S Internships Office are here to help you with that, too!)
Step 2: Take Focus 2
The Focus 2 assessment lets you develop a personalized career plan. It’s like having your own GPS: a self-guided system to help you navigate the career planning process. Take it online at any time, then schedule a meeting with a Career Specialist to explore the results.
Students may take one or both modules:
- Self-Assessment module*: Learn more about yourself, majors and career paths that match your personalized results. This is a great place to start if you’re uncertain about your major or career goals.
- Am I Career Ready? module*: Assess your career readiness competencies and review ways you can enhance those skills. (*Links open a login page to the Focus 2 assessment)
Learn how to take full advantage of this resource by accessing our Focus 2 Student Guide.
Step 3: Explore Mizzou Career Tools
Mizzou Career Tools is an interactive resource platform with resources and in-depth advice based on your career interests, class year and identities. Staff have curated videos, blogs, articles and sites that are relevant to you!
- Class Years: Click the About Me tab for career planning advice and resources for your year in school.
- Affinities/Identities: Click the About Me tab for content geared to your identity that addresses your unique career concerns and features support resources.
- Career Interests: Discover tools for exploring major and career options as well as employment opportunities in these fields.
- Student Resources: Find comprehensive career information and resources using filters by career topic (like Resumes, Careers & Majors, Internships, Networking and much more).
Learn how to maximize the platform by watching this Getting Started with Mizzou Career Tools video.
Connect with the MU Career Center
The Career Center is ready to assist you – learn how to connect with us! We offer appointments and drop-in consultations from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. each weekday for:
- Career and major exploration
- Resumes and cover letters
- Interview preparation
- Part-Time employment
- Internship and full-time job searching
- LinkedIn and online image
- And much more!