Career Tool Spotlight: Handshake
One week into Spring Semester– how is everyone feeling? Hopefully you all are feeling good and ready to tackle your academics with confidence! If not, that is okay too. I do however, have some exciting and informative news for you. One of our favorite tools here at the Career Center is the career search engine called Handshake. Handshake is super helpful in assisting students in both job and internship searches. If you don’t already have an account, I highly encourage you to make one– even if you already have a job! All you have to do is click this link and then I will walk you through the steps on how to set up your account!
Create a Handshake Account
- Login: Click on “Students” and log in with your pawprint and password.
- Upload a resume: Click on the drop-down arrow by your name located at the upper right-hand corner of the page and select “Documents.” Here is where you can upload your resume so both you and employers have easy access!
- If you don’t have a resume or need yours edited, be sure to visit the Career Center located on the bottom floor of the Student Success Center.
- Our hard-working resume team at the Career Center will also review your resume after you submit it on Handshake before it goes public. We just want to make sure everything looks good and ready to go!
- Complete your profile: Next, click on your name, select “My Profile” and the world is your oyster! Add your education, work experience, extracurriculars and relevant courses you have taken. Attach projects, documents, social links, skills and a bio.
- Make sure you review your social media before attaching it to your profile. Employers will be able to see everything you post on your page.
- Search jobs: Now to the fun part – the job search! Click on the tab that says “Jobs” at the top of your page. Now you can search for a specific job by keyword, employer, or geographic location.
- Be sure you click on the tab underneath that specifies if you want a part-time, full-time, on-campus job or internship.
- Apply for jobs: Once you find a job you like and read through it, you can apply by directly submitting your resume online.
Don’t miss the Get Hired: HireMizzouTigers/Handshake Registration Event in Stotler Lounge located in Memorial Union on Thursday, January 31 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. Come and set up a profile, ask questions and get some free coffee and cookies. Don’t hesitate to visit the Career Center if you have any questions!