Published on Sep. 17, 2018
Updated on Dec. 5, 2019
One of THE BEST ways to learn about careers and future job opportunities at Mizzou is attending one the many career fairs hosted by the different departments. In essence, career fairs are large expos where you get to walk around and meet employers from different companies and vice versa. This is an easier way to get an interview because employers can put a face to a name and get to know you outside your resume. Here are some tips on navigating your next career fair:
- Bring multiple copies of your resume. This is so important. As you walk around, you are most likely going to encounter many companies you might want to work for. Having resumes to give to potential employers shows that you’re ready, prepared and interested in their industry.
- Take notes as you go. Ask for names and emails of employers you really liked and follow-up when you get home. 24 hours is a good amount of time for follow-ups and thank you letters. Add people on LinkedIn and write them a message reminding them how you met and your hopes of getting to know them further.
- Carry a portfolio. Having a portfolio is very beneficial in staying organized. You will be collecting many papers from employers, taking notes on jobs you like and carrying copies of your resume. Portfolios give you room to store and sort through all the information. It also makes you look more professional.
- Do your research beforehand. Studying up before you go to a career fair is going to give you a competitive edge. Employers love it when you know what their company does. Things like, company goals, growth and mission are important. Use your background knowledge to ask specific questions.
- Prepare and practice your elevator pitch. An elevator pitch is a 30-60 second talk where you explain who you are and what you are all about. Mention your career goals and the skills you have. Smile and show interest!
- Dress like you would for a formal interview. This is a great way to show that you are taking people seriously. You may even land an interview while you’re there, so it is important to be prepared.
To get ahead and see what career fairs are coming up at Mizzou, click the link below: https://hiremizzoutigers.com/career-fairs/