Submit Request for a Class or Group
The MU Career Center offers many options to best serve your class or group. For greatest impact, WE RECOMMEND YOU FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
- Introduce the topic: Have your students visit the MU Career Center or our website
- Host a presentation: Invite a presenter to your group or check out our downloadable lesson plans
- Follow up: Give an assignment, provide handouts, and share links
If your students need a presentation or will be visiting us for an assignment or assessment, let us help you by completing a request form below. A Career Education Consultant will respond with you shortly.
We offer PRESENTATIONS for the following:
CliftonStrengths for Students
- CliftonStrengths identifies your top talent themes that can help you to be a successful student, explore career options, and prepare you for your job search. *requires students to take CliftonStrengths assessment
- Learn the foundations of writing and refining a resume and cover letter to show off strengths, target and write content, and have a professional look.
- A shortened version of both the resume and interviewing presentations, giving the basic information about both important pieces of a student job search.
- All the vital information about interviewing is presented in an interactive presentation, including how to get ready, answering common questions, and what to expect from most interviewing situations.
Developing Your Online Image
- Find out the basics of using LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter to not only show your positive side, but also to serve as valuable job search tools.
- An interactive game where participants bid on career values, which helps them evaluate critical pieces of a possible future career. Recommended for audiences of 20 or less.
- Get involved in this interactive workshop where participants complete challenges around Communication, Academics, Relationships, Explorations, Experience and Reflection.
Job Search Quick Tips (for upperclassman groups)
- Get an overview of the job search process, from reflecting on who you are, preparation, execution, and persistence through challenges.
We offer ASSIGNMENTS for the following:
- CliftonStrengths (at MUCC or online): online survey that identifies the student’s top five talent themes and gives language to use in a job search. $15 fee per person
- Focus 2 (at MUCC or online): free online career self-assessment that helps you to explore your interests, values, personality, skills, and leisure activities and how they relate to possible future occupations.
- Missouri Occupational Card Sort (at MUCC): free, interactive assessment that is conducted with a Career Specialist and can be tailored to occupations or majors.
Resume Review (at MUCC)
- Send your students to the MU Career Center with a draft of their resume for a resume review and they will get individualized feedback about the format, content, and style of their document while discussing their strengths and goals.
Interviewing Preparation (at MUCC)
- Your students can learn tips on interview techniques or conduct a short mock interview with a Career Specialist.
Interviewing Preparation (online)
- Big Interview is Mizzou’s online interview preparation software that provides students the ability to record answers to questions for your review. Email email@example.com for faculty/staff access.
LinkedIn Profile Review
- A trained Career Specialist will meet with students individually about how to create a compelling LinkedIn profile.
When I submit a request, what can I expect?
- After you complete your request, you will initially receive an automated response saying we received the information. Within 1-3 business days, one of our Career Education Consultants will contact you by email or phone with a confirmation or follow up questions.
- Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not heard from us after 3 business days.
When should I have my request in by?
- Your request MUST be submitted at least TWO WEEKS before your desired presentation date or assignment due date. That gives us enough time to process your form and determine if we can accommodate your request.
What if the MU Career Center staff is unable to fulfill my request?
- We are eager to work with our campus colleagues and do our best to accommodate presentation and on-site service requests. There are occasions, however, when we may not be able to do so. If there is a date/time conflict, if we aren’t able to do a requested customized topic, if we don’t have enough notice, or if the walk-in traffic will be too overwhelming during a particular week, we will contact you to find a solution.
What can I expect from a presentation?
- We have developed 45-minute engaging and interactive presentations about general career topics as well as the CliftonStrengths for Students (formerly StrengthsQuest) assessment.
- Presenters are members of the MU Career Center’s outstanding trained paraprofessional staff. The information is designed to be interactive and helpful for most any student audience demographic (freshmen-senior, most majors/interest areas), and specific customization may not be available.
- Additional career resources to provide to your class or group can be found at: Mizzou Career Tools.
- You may request presentations with START times between:
- 9AM – 7PM Monday-Thursday
- 9AM – 3PM on Friday
- Wednesday late afternoon is our weekly staff meeting time, so we may not be able to accommodate requests during the 4-5 p.m. hour.
For groups of 15 and under, consider having your presentation at the MU Career Center! This includes the presentation and a brief tour of our services (subject to room availability).
What can I expect from a class assignment at the MU Career Center?
- You can instruct your students to come to the MU Career Center, located on the lower level of the Student Success Center on Lowry Mall, to complete the desired assignment. We are open on a walk-in basis from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday during the academic semester. Students will check in at the front desk with our Career Specialists and let them know what they are there to do.
- For all self-assessments, students will need to arrive NO LATER than 3:00 p.m. to complete and discuss the assessment.
- Please advise your students not to wait until the last minute as we give no guarantee we can help all students the day or hours before the class time due to staffing constraints.
What if I need to contact someone about my request or I need to reschedule?
- If it is not an urgent need, please email us at email@example.com and a Career Education Consultant will be in touch.
- If you haven’t received a confirmation, need to reschedule or cancel a presentation on short notice, or have an urgent need, please contact Laura Peiter at 573-884-6317 or firstname.lastname@example.org.