The MU Career Center is eager to help new Tigers with student employment, career and major exploration and all your career-related questions.
The MU Career Center understands that many students need or want to work in part-time jobs. In the era of COVID, you will need to carefully balance a number of considerations so that you can financially support yourself, build valuable skills and maintain your health and safety.
Please note that MU has established safety measures for all its student and staff employees. We encourage all job seekers to review the Guidance for Part-Time Job Seekers During COVID-19.
Campus jobs are particularly advantageous because of their convenient location, supportive supervisors, and focus on student development. On-campus, part-time jobs can be temporary or long-term employment opportunities working for a department in a variety of roles such as customer service, retail, sales, office support and more.
Students interested in a campus job should:
- Login to HireMizzouTigers, powered by Handshake, to look for part-time jobs on campus. All employment opportunities including part-time jobs, internships, and full-time jobs are listed on this site.
- Join the free, non-credited Canvas course that provides resources to assist with finding and preparing for employment.
There are a wide variety of jobs available in the local community at large companies and small “mom and pop” firms. Some require transportation but many are within walking distance of campus. Local Columbia employers have come to rely on hiring our talented Mizzou Tigers!
Students interested in an off-campus job should:
- Login to HireMizzouTigers, powered by Handshake, to look for part-time jobs off campus. All employment opportunities including part-time jobs, internships, and full-time jobs are listed on this site.
- Network! Many local employers rely on references and referrals for new hires. Look for Help Wanted signs and talk to peers, faculty, and staff for recommendations and possible job leads. Also, check out business directories for the Columbia Chamber of Commerce and The District (located downtown near campus).
To view a sample of some current part-time job vacancies, please click the button below. Job opportunities are posted on HireMizzouTigers, a free employment site available to all MU students and alumni. We encourage students to login regularly to search and apply for jobs.
Applying for Jobs
Most employers will ask for a resume or application as well as an interview. The MU Career Center can assist students with each step of the hiring process whether it’s writing your first resume or doing a mock interview.
- Develop a strong resume: We suggest that all new students create a resume highlighting your intended MU degree, high school involvement and achievements, skills, and work experience, if any. Consult our 70+ online sample resumes and Guide to Resumes to get started. A strong resume will separate you from the many other applicants vying for the job.
- Brush up on interview skills: Before a job interview, research the company, consult our Guide to Interviewing, and practice answering interview questions on the web-based platform, Big Interview.
- Prepare for employment: New hires must present Employment Eligibility & Identification documents in order to be hired at the University and elsewhere. Also, the University and most local employers require direct deposit of payroll funds. Please have your bank routing and account numbers ready to share.
We are excited to assist you in your job search! We are available for online, phone or email consultations: Connect with Our Staff.