Frequently Asked Questions

What is Federal Work Study?

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federally subsidized program designed to give part-time employment to undergraduate and graduate students who need the income to help meet the costs of post-secondary education. Work Study jobs can complement your educational program or career goals. You will also gain relevant work experience in a business setting.

How do I apply for Federal Work Study?

Work Study is a campus based program co-administered by the Financial Aid Office and the MU Career Center. To apply for Work Study, you need to:

  1. File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  2. Indicate interest in Work Study by marking FAFSA Box 35.

What if my financial aid file says “Incomplete?”

Your financial aid folder must have a “complete” status before you can get an on-line work study Application form. If your status shows “incomplete, “go to MyZou to check the status of your work study award.

After I am notified of my eligibility, how do I obtain a job?

To obtain a job for the Fall/Spring Semesters, you may search the online database. Once you decide on a position, you will need to print out a job Application form. This Application will contain contact information. If you are a new student to the University you will need to take your Application form to the department by the end of the first week of classes. If you are a returning student or changing work study positions you must take your Application form to the department within two working days of receiving the Application.

Is a job application a guaranteed job?

Once you choose a position it is not a guaranteed job. You should expect that you may be interviewed as this is a real job. If you need help preparing for an interview, consult with a Career Specialist or our online resources. If after an initial interview you are not hired or decline to take the position, you will be released from that position so that you can choose another position.

Since it is called Work Study, do I get to study on the job?

The name is misleading. FWS jobs are not any different than any other student jobs on campus. There are required tasks to be completed as designated by the employer. It is important to view the work study job as a “real job” in which the employer requires work in exchange for wages.

Can I work more than one work study job?

No. Only one work study job is allowed at a time.

Is it possible to get additional work study funding?

Requests for additional Work Study money are reviewed by Financial Aid Advisors and granted on a case-by-case basis depending on the availability of funds. Direct your questions regarding the status of your financial aid package to the Financial Aid Office, 11 Jesse Hall, or call 882-7506.

How will I  be paid?

Work Study students are placed on University of Missouri payroll and are paid by direct deposit every other week. Work study earnings are not credited to your account; they can be used in any way you like to meet expenses.

Do all work study positions pay the same?

No. The hourly wage rate is determined by the department based on University guidelines. The rates selected by the departments reflect degree of training, proficiency, and skill required for the position. Award amount has no bearing on wage rate selected by the employer. Issues regarding pay increase and number of hours worked per week should be discussed with your supervisor.

How do I get my application form?

You may print out your Application form from our office in Student Success Center or from any computer with web access. In addition to your PawPrint and password, you will need to have been offered the award and accepted it on myZou.