Work Study Students


Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federally subsidized program designed to give part-time employment to undergraduate students who need the income to help meet the costs of post-secondary education. Work Study jobs can complement your educational program or career goals and will help you gain relevant work experience in a professional setting.

Getting Started

 1. Apply for Federal Work Study (FWS)

  • File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and indicate on the form that you are interested in being considered for work study.

2. Receive Notification

  • MU Student Financial Aid Financial Aid will send you a letter notifying you of federal work study and other aid available to you.  If you are not offered a FWS award and you think that you should have one, please contact your Financial Aid advisor.

3. Accept FWS award in myZou

 4. Login to work study employment database

  • Go to
  • Enter your PawPrint and password. If you do not have a password, please go to
  • Search the employer list or enter keywords to see available positions
  • Once you have settled on a position, click “Accept” and print off the application form

Please note you must have a “complete” and “verified” financial aid folder in order to login to the work study employment database. If you do not have login access, please contact Student Financial Aid to inquire about your status.

5. Prepare for Employment

  • Locate Your Employment Documents: Students must present Employment Eligibility & Identification documents in order to be hired at the University. Only original documents will be accepted, so it’s important to have your identification ready.
  • Direct Deposit: The university requires employees to directly deposit payroll funds to a bank. Please have your routing and account numbers ready to share.

6. Start Your Job

  • Access and Complete your Onboarding Forms: To complete these forms please review the instructions in your onboarding email from Human Resource Services.
  • Attend New Employee Registration: All student employees must present their original, unexpired Employment Eligibility & Identification documents  to New Employee Registration by their first day of work.
  • Complete W-4 form: All MU employees must complete a W-4. If you are unsure how to complete the W-4, please make an appointment with the Office for Financial Success.