Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally subsidized program designed to give part-time employment to undergraduate students who need the income to help meet the costs of post-secondary education. Work-Study jobs can complement your educational program or career goals and will help you gain relevant work experience in a professional setting.
1. Apply for Federal Work-Study (FWS)
- File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by MU’s priority deadline and indicate on the application that you are interested in being considered for work-study.
2. Receive Notification
- Student Financial Aid will send you an offer letter notifying you of aid offered, including Federal Work-Study. If you have questions about your work study eligibility, please contact Student Financial Aid.
3. Accept Work-Study Award in myZou
- Login to myZou to accept your award and complete Financial Aid To Do List.
4. Login to Work-Study Employment Database
- Login to Work-Study Employment System: https://workstudy.missouri.edu/
- Enter your username and password. (If you do not have a password, please go to https://newstudent.missouri.edu/resources/itguide)
- Search the ‘employer’ list or enter keywords to see available positions.
- Click the job number to view the job description.
- Select one position by clicking ‘Apply Now.’ (Important: You will not be able to look at additional positions once you hit the ‘Apply Now’ button.)
- The application form will be emailed to you with application instructions.
- Most employers will request an interview.
- If you are hired for the position, the employer will proceed with the hiring process with Human Resources (HR) and you will receive an email from HR of next steps.
- If you are not hired, you will be released from the position to search for a different opportunity.
Please note, it can take often 48 hours for the systems to update which might cause the inability to login to the Work-Study Employment System after accepting your FWS offer. If you have been selected for verification and the Financial Aid Office has not completed the verification process or has not received all necessary documents, you will receive a “File Incomplete” message when you try to select a position.
5. Prepare for Employment
- Employment Identification Documents: Students must present Employment Eligibility & Identification documents in order to be hired at the University. Only original documents will be accepted, so it’s important to have your identification ready.
- Direct Deposit: The University requires direct deposit of payroll funds. Please have your bank routing and account numbers ready to share.
6. Start Your Job
- You may not begin work before the first day of classes for the fall semester and must complete New Employee Registration before clocking hours.
- Access and Complete your New Hire Forms: To complete these forms please review the instructions in your new employee information email from Human Resource Services.
- Direct Deposit: Your paycheck will be directly deposited into the bank account of your choice. Please have your routing and account numbers ready to share.
- Complete W-4 form: All MU employees must complete federal and state tax information. If you are unsure how to complete the W-4, please make an appointment with the Office for Financial Success.
- Attend New Employee Registration: All student employees must present their original, unexpired Employment Eligibility & Identification documents to New Employee Registration by their first day of work.