***Career counseling is offered during the fall and spring semesters. Please email CareerCounseling@missouri.edu to get on the waitlist for fall.***
Are you an MU student or a recent graduate (up to 1 year post graduation) struggling to decide on a college major or career, considering graduate education, or needing ongoing support conducting a successful job search? If so, the career counselors at the MU Career Center are here to help you.
Interested MU students who are living in the state of Missouri can sign up through MU Connect* to talk with a career counselor. If you are a recent alum located within the state of Missouri, please email CareerCounseling@missouri.edu to set up an appointment.
If you have other questions about our career counseling services, please email us and look for updates on this web page about our services.
The MU Career Center provides career counseling services for MU students and alumni up to one year after they graduate. During the academic year, students and recent alums can meet with a career counselor for ongoing, in-depth support for exploring majors/careers, graduate education, job search, and more.
Counselors are graduate students in training who are receiving licensed supervision to provide individual counseling on a wide range of career, academic, and social issues. Career issues may be clients’ initial concern, but academic and personal issues may emerge in counseling and can be discussed and explored as well.
What We Offer
Career counselors provide one-on-one sessions to explore your interests and options and acquaint you with the resources within the Career Center. Counselors utilize a variety of therapeutic techniques and approaches within a brief therapy model that focuses on centering you and your individual needs and goals.
What We Do
- Discuss career, academic, and personal/social issues.
- Assist you through career transitions and decisions.
- Offer career self-assessments to understand your skills, abilities, interests, talents, and values.
- Connect you to job search and career information resources.
- Help you set personal goals.
- Explore ways to find balance in your life.
- Discover academic enrichment opportunities.
- Anything else you would like to talk about when meeting with us.
- CliftonStrengths for Students
- Focus 2
- Strong Interest Inventory
For MU students to sign up for our career counseling services:
- *Online: MU Students may sign up through MU Connect for an initial 30-minute consultation with one of our counselors. Follow the direct link or use the “My Success Network” Tab and search for Career Counseling in the search bar. Email CareerCounseling@missouri.edu if you need assistance with making an appointment. Once you sign up, you will receive more information about what to expect in this initial consultation, as well as some brief forms that will need to be completed before your consultation. At this meeting, a counselor will talk with you about what is bringing you in for counseling at this time, your goals for career counseling, and what to expect from counseling at the MU Career Center.
*Please understand that MU Connect will send messages to your MU student email account. In addition, by signing up via MU Connect, you are allowing the Career Center to contact you via your MU student email account for scheduling purposes. If you do not wish to be contacted via your MU student email, do not book through MU Connect. Instead, email us from your preferred email letting us know you do not wish to use your MU student email account and we will assist you in setting up an appointment.
For alumni who have graduated within the past year who want to sign up for our career counseling services:
- Email CareerCounseling@missouri.edu letting us know you would like to receive services, and we will assist you in setting up an appointment. After receiving your email, a counselor will be in touch with you, generally within one week, about setting up an initial consultation appointment.
Career Counseling Hours
The Career Center is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. during fall and spring semesters, but additional hours may be available.
If you are an MU Student in crisis or need immediate assistance, please call the Counseling Center at 573-882-6601 to be connected with a crisis counselor 24 hours a day.
Non-MU Students may call the Suicide & Crisis Lifeline at 988.
If it is an emergency, please call 911.