In today’s digital age, college students are using various online tools to showcase their skills, experiences, and personality to potential employers. Among these tools, online image platforms such as blogs, e-portfolios, LinkedIn and Instagram have become increasingly popular for job searching.
When creating a professional image and polishing your professional profiles, try to answer these questions: What can I offer the employer? Am I likeable? Do I appear motivated? Here are some things to consider:
Blogs and e-portfolios are great ways for you to create a professional online presence that showcases your academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and work experience. You can use these platforms to share your personal brand, highlight your skills and accomplishments, and make themselves stand out to potential employers. In a competitive job market, having a unique and polished online profile can be a key factor in getting noticed by recruiters.
Blogs are particularly useful for sharing personal stories and insights related to your career field. Writing about relevant topics such as industry trends, career advice, or personal experiences can show employers that you are engaged and passionate about your chosen field.
E-portfolios, on the other hand, offer a more visual representation of your work. You can use them to showcase your writing, design, or coding skills, or to display projects they have completed in classes or internships. Including links to blog posts or e-portfolio projects on a resume or cover letter can also help make a stronger case for why you are a good fit for a particular job.
Suggested Websites and Tools
WordPress: WordPress is a popular website builder that offers a range of customizable templates and plugins. It is easy to use and has many features that are useful for building a blog or portfolio website. https://wordpress.com/
- Wix is another popular website builder that offers a range of templates and design options. It is a user-friendly platform that is perfect for beginners.
- Squarespace is a powerful website builder that offers beautiful templates and a range of features for building a portfolio or blog website. It is also a good choice for students who want to sell products or services.
- Weebly is a website builder that is known for its drag-and-drop interface and ease of use. It offers a range of templates and features that are suitable for building a portfolio or blog website.
- Adobe Portfolio is a simple and straightforward platform for building an online portfolio. It offers many customization options and is integrated with Adobe’s Creative Cloud suite of tools.
- GitHub is a code hosting platform that allows users to create and share software projects. It is a great platform for students who are interested in coding and software development.
Some of these websites and tools require paid subscription, we suggest you to be mindful of your needs and your investment in the myriad of choices. Try to explore as much as possible and don’t forget to take advantage of your student discounts!
The largest and longest running professional network helps you strengthen and extend your network of contacts by exchanging ideas, knowledge and career opportunities with a broad network of professionals.
Think of LinkedIn as your personal Rolodex of career connections. 94% of recruiters and hiring managers use the network to find new talent and creating a profile does not take long. Join groups, follow company pages, and network with recent grads, alumni and industry professionals to get an insider’s look at what’s happening in your field.
To make the most of LinkedIn, complete your profile and fearfully craft your Summary. Consult our Guide to LinkedIn for helpful tips and advice.
You can update your achievements often, link to your skills and work and quickly expand your connections through personal messages. LinkedIn is also a great exploration tool where you can learn what alums are doing with your degrees and reach out to contacts for informational interviews and job leads. And LinkedIn also has a robust jobs board where you can search and apply for jobs and internships.
Instagram is a popular social networking app with a focus on visuals. While it’s often used for fun and socializing, Instagram can also be a valuable way to portray a story of professionalism and personal achievement.
Instagram is another powerful tool that you can use to build your professional image. It offers a more informal and personal way to showcase your interests, personality, and lifestyle, while still remaining relevant to your career goals.
You may share photos of yourself in work-related environments, such as a conference or a volunteering event, as well as photos of your hobbies and personal life. Employers increasingly value candidates who can demonstrate a well-rounded personality and a passion for life outside of work. Additionally, you can follow and engage with companies and professionals in your industry, which can lead to networking opportunities and potential job leads.
When using these online image platforms for job searching, it’s important for you to keep a few things in mind.
- You should ensure that all your profiles and posts are professional and appropriate for the workplace. Employers will be looking for signs of maturity, responsibility, and good judgement, so anything that appears unprofessional or inappropriate can harm your chances of landing a job.
- Make sure all your profiles are up-to-date and accurate, and that they respond to any messages or comments in a timely manner.
- Be mindful of your personal brand and ensure that your online image is consistent with your goals and values.
Online image platforms such as blogs, e-portfolios, LinkedIn and Instagram can be powerful tools for college students to showcase their skills, experiences, and personality to potential employers. By using these platforms effectively and professionally, you can improve your job prospects and stand out in a competitive job market.